Sunday, November 16, 2014

With my most recent essay, I felt a bit scatterbrained and overwhelmed with my topic, since it is very broad with many different sides. In Bright-Sided, Barbera Ehrenreich discusses how positive thinking is undermining America, and I added how exactly it does so. Themes of entitlement and what it means to live a truly happy and fulfilling life are brought to the table, yet I believe that Ehrenreich and I neglected to give the other side of the equation, of how positive thinking is a great mindset to hold for everyday life. I believe that even though positive thinking can be seen as undermining America, there's a reason Americans from coast to coast have adopted this philosophy. I plan to give a less cynical approach to the topic and shine light on the good effects of positive thinking. Yes, I'm being positive. Gasp.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. There are some great essays in the other edition of They Say/ I Say with Readings (just like ours, but with essays at the end) on the American Dream. I think some of what you are talking about with positive thinking is related to that idea. If you can't find the book, let me know.

    ReplyDelete